your phone charger can kill you- 5 cases we can learn from.(RIP Kodak)

Earlier this week it was reported that a video vixen known as Picture Kodak was killed by an electric shock at the home of popular videographer, Clarence Peter while charging her phone. According to reports, she died from the incident.

Picture Kodak as many of us already know has featured in many music videos including Olamide’s video wo. shortly before her death, she posted the video below to her Instagram stories…

In the absence of any foul play-(an autopsy is being carried out) the conclusion is that she died simply charging her phone and this has left many in shock.

A number of deaths related to charging phones have been reported across the world, too many to list all, so we picked 5 case studies- hopeful we take lessons from that.

1) Touching a charging phone while in water or bath tub

In December 2016, a 32-year-old British man was found dead in the bathtub. The cause? A charging cell phone. He was resting a charging iPhone on his chest in the bath tub, the device made contact with the water. His injuries were severe, including burns on his chest, arms, and hand.

His name was Richard Bull from Ealing in west London. He was pronounced dead by paramedics in his home on December 11. 

Why it happened- Water greatly lowers your body’s natural resistance to electricity, which means you’re much more likely to die if you contact electricity in the bath or shower. Saltwater lowers your resistance even more. Its therefore advisable not to charge smart phones in the bathroom or near water. Its also important to prevent extension cords from coming in contact with water.

2) Answering a phone while its charging

In 2013 Ma Ailun An air stewardess was killed by an electric shock when she answered a call on her iPhone 5 while it was recharging.

Apple has launched an urgent safety probe into its iPhone 5 amid claims a bride-to-be died from a massive electric shock while answering a call in China. Ma Ailun, a former flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, collapsed to the ground when she picked up her smartphone as it charged at home on Thursday, her family said. The 23-year-old, who was planning to wed on August 8, was rushed to hospital in Xinjiang, northwest China, but medics were unable to revive her.

News of the death of Ma Ailun, 23, was posted on the internet by her sister, prompting criticism of Apple ’s millions of iPhone users in China.

While smartphones batteries carry a low voltage — lithium-ion batteries are about 3.7 volts — attaching them to a charger puts you in a direct line to the high-intensity voltage from the power socket. This can be dangerous under certain conditions, such as when there’s a short circuit or power surge.

3) Using fake chargers or chargers with frayed ends.

According to a study from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute in the UK, a whopping 98% of all fake Apple chargers failed basic safety tests. After performing several tests, it was found that only three of the 400 devices tested had enough isolation to prevent an electric shock.

A 17 year old teenager Nong Ying, 17,  was electrocuted after charging her phone with a frayed extension cable which touched the metal legs of her bed. 

Nong’s mother Boonpeng Tuponchai, 47, returned home and found the teenager lying still in the bedroom. Boonpeng said she thought that her daughter was asleep and tried to wake her up but she suffered a minor electrical shock when she touched the body. 

4) Charging your phone while sleeping

sleeping with your phone has many disadvantages- from the sleep disrupting blue light to the unknown risks of the electromagnetic radiation they emit.

But even more risky is that falling asleep with your cell phone under your pillow or on your bed, and you run the risk of an electrical fire

Why this happens: The heat generated cannot dissipate and the charger will become hotter and hotter. The likely result is that the pillow/bed will catch fire. This places the child/teen as well as everyone else in the home in great danger. Please check where you & your family charge your mobile devices.

5) falling asleep with ear plugs- while your phone is charging

Luiza Pinheiro, from Riacho Frio in Brazil, was rushed to hospital but doctors were unable to save her life, reports The Sun.

The girl’s grandmother told the doctor that they found her granddaughter unconscious, lying on the floor and with headphones in her ears.

Kodak’s death inspired this research. (RIP), we can take notes and learn but at the end of the day, something must kill a man.

Be the first to comment

Leave a comment